Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Priority Africa Network Second Annual Ubuntu Awards Program

This was a fantastic event...February 11 marked a time of gathering of diverse people, open bar, food, international guests, new people in town (me, lol) and a fantastic Director who even graced The White House, with an ongoing joke with President Barack Obama and her meeting the dog next time...This event which took place at the prestigious Lake Merritt Hotel, with a breathtaking view of Oakland's lake, which is filled with joggers, tourists (me, lol), dogs and those strolling the vast area around the lake. At night it lights up and is a beautiful setting for an intimate event such as the Ubuntu Awards Dinner.

Priority Africa Network Director is Nunu Kidane, a gracious woman from Euretrea, who displays an instant warmness that makes one feel at ease. I was most interested in the raffle ticket, for $10, to win a trip to Ghana. I have new friends there through Facebook and also have met quite a few in Los Angeles. The Program ran very long but smooth...The keynote speaker was Dr. Yao Graham, Third World Network, Africa, Accra, Ghana. The music was fantastic, getting diners to their feet at times to join in the dancing. Performance was by Ousseynou Kouyate. There was a very nice DJ that also rocked the place after all the speakers...DJ Burt. He is also entertaining for a special Valentine's Day weekend bash on Feb 18th at the Mariner Square Loop in Alameda, California. Not knowing if I will go...Back to dinner...it was fun, I met some interesting people wearing African clothes, not from Africa, and Africans wearing suits, not wearing African clothing...I wore African clothing..and danced the night away, after the Director so graciously invited me to a table...with some negotiated words, of course!

If you can please try to keep up with this organization. I am job searching here in town, am connected to LinkedIn, and would love to work either in the bay area or back to Los Angeles...Some paid ad names in program is The Christensen Fund, Center for African Studies, UC Berkeley, MOAD, Museum of the African Diaspora, AfricaFocus, Akili Dada, Global Exchange, American Friends Service Committee, and thanks to an anonymous individual donor for $4,000! Would I attend next year? Absolutely...unless Ruth, who won the round trip ticket to Ghana, blesses me with it and I am in Ghana at that time...Hmmm..something tells me I will get to Ghana one day!!!

No comments: